Governance, Strategy and Policy
Future Strategy: innovating, adapting, improving
Responding to both post-Covid changes and a fast-moving regulatory environment, the HE sector has had to adjust and adapt on an unprecedented scale. Looking into the future, universities and governing bodies are considering longer-term issues alongside their necessary focus on immediate challenges. Some institutions might be planning a ‘lessons learned’ review to see how they might work better and be even more resilient in future. Scenario planning, business contingency and disaster recovery work might need revisiting. Boards and executive teams will want to look again at strategic plans and at institutional approaches to risk management, with new vulnerabilities in mind. And beyond the institutional level – what does this new environment mean for Faculties, Directorates, Teams?
For clients approaching AUA Consulting for support in this area we offer a flexible range of options, drawing on a depth of expertise in governance and strategic leadership among our consultant team. Our consultants are practitioners in HE management meaning our services are practical and credible – focussed on achieving solutions and improvements for clients. Outcomes for institutions might include:
- Reviewing corporate and academic governance arrangements – delivering an expert assessment of compliance alongside practical recommendations for development and improvement, drawing on governance experience and insight within and beyond HE.
- Expert consulting review in specific policy areas, drawing on legal/regulatory benchmarks and best practice within and beyond HE. Presenting options for improvement with practical ‘pick-up-and-use’ resources to facilitate effective implementation.
- Using Strategic Enrolment Management to align strategy across the institution – delivering recommendations and a planning process to support student success.
Find out how we have supported HEIs to improve governance, strategy and policy – explore our consulting case studies:
Ravensbourne University, London
Review of corporate and academic governance
We worked with Ravensbourne University London to review the efficacy of its corporate and academic governance arrangements.
Key features included:
- Review of university documentation relating to governance.
- Extensive stakeholder consultation, including observation of multiple meetings, on-campus and phone interviews and two online stakeholder surveys.
- Expert consulting input from an experienced team of senior HE governance professionals.
- Practical recommendations to support the University to consolidate good governance practice and plan for future improvements.
- A comprehensive written report, referencing regulatory requirements/benchmarks, tailored for the Ravensbourne Board of Governors.
The Governance Effectiveness Review conducted by AUA Consultants was a well-run process and their report has proved very useful in pointing to many improvements which we are now planning to make.
University College of Estate Management
Supporting Equality Impact Assessment
We worked with the University College of Estate Management to develop their expertise and experience in the area of Equality Impact Assessment. Drivers included regulatory expectations alongside fostering good educational/academic practice.
Key features included:
- Input from an AUA consultant with a depth of expertise in HE equality and diversity issues.
- Hands-on training to build confidence with direct relevance to the institution’s mission and practice.
- A client-centred approach including close liaison with the institution throughout.
- Practical ‘pick-up-and-use’ resources and templates to facilitate effective implementation.
It was great to have the consultant’s expertise. The training was really well received and colleagues are now enthusiastic to get started. We will definitely be using AUA Consulting again an will recommend to others.
Read reflections from our consultants:
Explore how AUA Consulting can help your team: