A ‘one day plus’* intensive workshop incorporating practical and technical training, peer supported reflection, and group coaching to help you identify and build on your presentation and public speaking style(s). Supplemented with post-event one-to-one coaching, you will develop your skill set to create greater impact in your professional practice.
To maintain the potential for significant learning and development, the programme is strictly limited to a maximum of 12 participants.
* The programme incorporates a full-day training workshop, a follow up one-to-one online coaching session, and individual access to email support. Participants’ pre-workshop thoughts, suggestions and ideas will be used to help shape and finalise the training workshop agenda.
Date: Wednesday, 27 September 2017
Time: 9:30 to 16:30
Venue: University of Manchester, John Owens Building, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
Member price: £295 +VAT
Non member price: £395 +VAT
Who is it for?
This is an intermediate level programme, and is right for you if you want to improve your public speaking, whether that is formal presentations to an audience, asserting your views around the board table, or boosting your confidence in day-to-day professional communication. The programme will be tailored to the particular audience, however is likely to be of most value to those who are in, or aspiring to, a middle-management role* and who have some experience of formal presentation and/or contributing to meetings with more senior staff.
* We are developing an advanced level programme for more senior and/or more experienced staff
What will I learn?
By the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
– Critically reflect on your own approach to public speaking and on your presentation style
– Employ, and further develop, techniques to manage voice control and body message
– Apply stage presence and control in your professional activities
– Identify, and address, any ‘inner voice’ that limits your public speaking confidence
– Self-identify areas for further development and improvement
Who will be speaking?
Dr Kenton Lewis MBE, Director and Principal Consultant, Kenton Lewis Associates
Kenton is an educational sociologist and an experienced manager, trainer and executive coach; his coaching client list includes middle and senior managers from across Higher Education. Prior to becoming an independent consultant, Kenton worked for 18 years in higher education administration, management, leadership and governance. He has been a Trustee at the AUA, is a founding member and Trustee of The Bride Group (an independent, charitable social mobility policy association), and is a Lay Observer for the Ministry of Justice (PECS). Kenton holds Fellowship of the AUA, CMI and RSA, and is a Principal Fellow of the HEA. He has won multiple national and international awards for innovation in higher education, including the Lord Mayor of London Dragon Award, two e-Learning Age Awards, and the Guardian Public Service Award. He was recognised in the 2014 New Year Honours with an MBE for services to higher education.
What Professional Behaviours will I develop?